Now is a great time to evaluate your pet’s exercise regimen and make a plan to keep Fido active. With Fetch! Pet Care on your side, you know your dog is getting tons of exercise when you’re at work or away from home. We are passionate about making sure that all of the dogs we care for are happy, healthy, and fit. No matter your dog’s size or breed, there are so many ways you can keep her active both indoors and outdoors when you’re home. But, here’s the best part — the benefit is two fold! Both you and your dog win from exercising together. So, to help you get motivated, we’ve compiled a list of our five favorite reasons why you should exercise with your dog.
1. Exercising together makes your bond stronger. When your dog genuinely feels the bond you two have, she will feel more relaxed, loved, content, and overall more enthusiastic about life. Hike a new trail together, go for a brisk morning jog, or a casual stroll around the neighborhood. Right now, it’s just you and your best friend, and life could not get any better. What a gift it is to share these moments with such a loyal and loving companion!
2. Exercising with your dog helps keep you both lean and limber. Whether it’s a little doga (that’s right, yoga for dogs), or playing fetch in the back yard, regular exercise is a great way to help keep you and your dog lean and limber. By keeping your dog active every day you help her from becoming obese. Obesity can result in serious adverse health effects, such as reducing the lifespan, even if your dog is only moderately obese. Multiple areas of the body are affected by excess body fat, including the bones and joints, the digestive organs, and the organs responsible for breathing capacity. And as many of you know, this applies to us humans, too. So, make a plan that works for you and stick to it. You and Fido — fitness pals for life!
3. Exercise improves sleep. Moderate exercise provides a workout not only for the body but for the mind as well. A pleasantly tired dog who has received the mental stimulation she needs will have a healthier, more restful sleep — beneficial to overall health.
4. Exercise is fun. A regularly exercised dog comes to depend on the enjoyment derived from exercise. As the appointed time nears, she will get restless with excitement. Some dogs will even drag out your running shoes and fetch the leash. In short, they love it!
5. Exercise encourages appropriate socialization. Exercise and training often go hand-in-hand. When you’re out walking your dog, you’re also reinforcing her ability to remain close, sit when commanded and stay calm on a leash. You’re also exposing her to other people. A well-socialized dog is less likely to be afraid of new people or act defensively or aggressively. Walking your dog from an early age helps her accept the presence of other people and dogs.
We’d love to hear some of your favorite ways to exercise your dog. Tweet us @FetchPetCare, or write us on Facebook at @FetchCorporate. Need a hand keeping your dog exercised regularly? Hire one of our amazing sitters today by visiting FetchPetCare.com.