Hurricane Harvey, which recently wreaked havoc on Gulf Coast Residents in both Texas and Louisiana beginning Friday, August, 25th, is considered to be one to the most devastating storms in American History. This flood apocalypse created over 1 Trillion tons of rainfall resulting in altogether 450,000 people victim to the flood, with over 30,000 people and their pets now homeless. It is heartbreaking to imagine the devastation one must be experiencing as a pet owner or pet who is now a victim of this devastating storm.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the Humane Society of the United States, Best Friends Animal Society, Wings of Rescue & GreaterGood.org have joined forces to create a national effort for providing relief and safety to pets in need. Many animals have already been flown out of danger and into other parts of the country where they will go up for adoption, making room for Texas and Louisiana-based animals shelters which continue to be inundated with homeless pets.
The aftermath of Hurricane Harvey will undoubtedly have lasting effects on its victims and their families. There are many things you can do to help both the pets and people who have been displaced from their homes.
1. If you are located in the Houston area, are an animal professional, and wish to volunteer your skills to relief efforts you can apply online to be a Specialty Volunteer through the Louisiana SPCA.
2. The SPCA of Texas is accepting online donations here although they are currently at-capacity for new volunteers or potential fosters.
3. You can also help by donating to or making a purchase from the Harris County Animal Shelter’s Amazon wish list. This shelter needs a variety of gear and supplies — even the smallest donation will make a difference.
4. If you are affiliated with a shelter or rescue group and are able to facilitate the transportation of Harvey’s pets into shelters in other states or are able to foster, we recommend you reach out to them and let them know that you can help in this way.
5. Austin Pets Alive! recently transported more than 500 pets to its shelter and are expecting hundreds more. They are in need of donations, fosters, and funding. For up-to-the-date information on their efforts and what they need please follow this link.
6. AKC Reunite also needs your help in both providing shelter to pet owners and their pets as well as reuniting those who have been separated during the storm. Click here to make a donation to their support and relief fund.
7. Airbnb’s Disaster Response Program allows you to open up your home to those in need or alternatively, to find emergency accommodations. All service fees are waived for those affected by the disaster and checking in between August 23, 2017, and September 25, 2017.
If you have more information on how to help the victims — both pets and their pet parents of Hurricane Harvey, please let us know in the comments below, message us on Facebook or Tweet us @FetchPetCare.