July 8, 2013
Let’s face it, things aren’t getting any cooler. With record temperatures and humidity it’s likely going to be a hot, hot summer! So, as we get ready to go out and enjoy the great outdoors, let’s remember that as we try to keep ourselves cool we also want to keep our pets comfortable too.
Pets can be subject to the same issues with heat as us humans, including overheating, dehydration and sunburn. By example, a dog’s normal temperature is somewhere between 100 and 102.5 degrees. Heat stroke, which occurs at 106 degrees or higher, can affect dogs rapidly and must be treated right away to avoid a fatal situation.
Here are some tips to help your pet stay cool and help ensure an enjoyable summer for everyone:
- Research your pet’s specific breed information online or consult with your veterinarian. Some pets overheat faster than others and you should take special precautions for their individual needs.
- When outdoors, don’t take your pet with you unless you can ensure your pooch will have a shady area to escape the heat, cool off and maybe even take in that relaxing summer nap.
- Always have plenty of fresh, cool water – whether on a walk, in the car or in the house or yard.
- During the summertime, walk your dog before and after the heat of the day – early morning or late evening.
- Never leave your dog unattended in your car. Even while running a quick errand, the temperature inside a parked car can get to fatal levels very quickly, even if the car is parked in the shade with the windows down.
- Use a specially formulated pet sunscreen for your pets, particularly if they are known breeds to be subject to sunburn.
- Consider booties to protect your pet’s paws. Pets have sweat glands on their paws and some form of covering will keep them cool on the asphalt and in hot weather climates in general.
- If traveling long distances, consider bringing a small baby pool or letting your pooch get hosed off or take a cool bath while at your hotel. You can also buy cooling specific products for pets, such as water filled pet pads, collars, and vests.
As long as you follow these tips your pet will have a great time with you on your many summer adventures. They’ll come back relaxed, refreshed, and happy just like you.
And remember, Fetch! Pet Care knows how to keep your pet cool and happy this summer with our nationwide dog walking and petsitting services wherever, whenever you need us most. Whether you want us to care for your pet at home while you’re away, or you want us to provide daily care at your destination of travel, we’ve got your tail covered!