Keep Your Pet Cool When Traveling To The Great Outdoors
July 8, 2019 | Tags: heat, summer, travel
Let’s face it, things aren’t getting any cooler. With record temperatures and humidity it’s likely going to be a hot, hot summer! So, as we enjoy the great outdoors, let’s remember that as we try to keep ourselves cool we also want to keep your pet cool and comfortable too.
Pets are subject to the same issues with heat as us humans, including overheating, dehydration and sunburn. A dog’s normal temperature is somewhere between 100 and 102.5 degrees. Heat stroke, which occurs at 106 degrees or higher, can affect dogs rapidly and must be treated right away to avoid a fatal situation.
Here are some tips to keep your pet cool and help ensure an enjoyable summer for everyone:
- Research your pet’s specific breed information online or consult with your veterinarian. Some pets overheat faster than others and you should take special precautions for their individual needs.
- Don’t take your pet with you unless you can ensure your pooch will have a shady area to escape the heat, cool off and maybe even take in that relaxing summer nap.
- Always have plenty of fresh, cool water available – whether on a walk, in the car or in the house or yard.
- Walk your dog before and after the heat of the day – early morning or late evening.
- Never leave your dog unattended in your car. Even while running a quick errand, the temperature inside a parked car can get to fatal levels very quickly, even if the car is parked in the shade with the windows down.
- Apply pet sunscreen especially if it is a breed that sunburns easily.
- Use booties to protect your pet’s paws. Pets have sweat glands on their paws and some form of covering will keep them cool on the asphalt and in hot weather climates.
- If traveling long distances, bring a small baby pool, take a cool bath while at the hotel or buy cooling products for pets, such as water filled pet pads, collars, and vests.
As long as you follow these tips your pet will have a great time with you on your many summer adventures. They’ll come back relaxed, refreshed, and happy just like you.
And remember, Fetch! Pet Care knows how to keep your pet cool and happy this summer with our nationwide dog walking and pet sitting services wherever, whenever you need us most. Whether you want us to care for your pet at home while you’re away, or you want us to provide daily care at your destination of travel, we’ve got your tail covered!
Back to Blog