Living alone comes with a lot of challenges. While it’s great to have your own space and have so much time for yourself, it can also be lonely. Adopting a dog is a great way to get over your fear of living alone or to add companionship to your daily life! Some dog breeds lend themselves better to single living while others are better suited for families. When living alone, you might also be worried about staying safe both when you’re home and when you’re away. A dog can not only provide the right level of friendship but also help you feel safe every day. Keep reading for the best dog breeds for living alone!
1. English Bulldog: It’s hard to resist such a loveable, drooling face! The English Bulldog is perfect for single people looking for a fellow couch potato to spend time with every day. These dogs don’t need a lot of exercise, and they love spending time with you lounging around. If you’re the type to stay in at home, an English Bulldog is the best choice. These dogs can also pack a loud bark which can help you feel safer in your home if you’re worried about intruders.
2. Dalmatian: Dalmatians are known for their independence. They don’t mind spending time alone, and you don’t have to worry about them facing anxiety when you leave for the day. They tend to bond best with one person, and they might not be as friendly to strangers. Though these dogs are bigger, they’re actually softies. Just don’t be surprised if your Dalmatian never leaves your side when you’re home!
3. Schnauzer: Schnauzers are easy to train and perfect for apartment living. They can have higher energy levels but they don’t need as much activity every day. They’re perfect for everything, from staying home all day to visiting the dog park. Schnauzers are known to bark frequently, but this can be a good “alert bark” that helps you feel safe when home alone.
4. Boxer: Are you an adventure seeker? If you have an active lifestyle and need a companion for all your hiking trips and weekend getaways, a Boxer is a natural choice. These dogs might look intimidating, but they’re super friendly and love to meet new people. They have high energy levels that match perfectly with outdoor adventure lovers!
5. Doberman: Dobermans are highly intelligent like German Shepherds, and they’re ideal for single people worried about feeling safe. These dogs have gotten a reputation for being aggressive, but don’t let that scare you away from this lovable breed! With the right training and socialization, Dobermans can be loyal, active companions. Beware, they’ll probably take up most of the bed!
6. Rescue Mutts: Rescuing a “mystery” breed might be the best choice for single people! Adopted rescue dogs make excellent, caring companions! These dogs have experienced loneliness themselves, and they’re so excited to have a new home. Giving a mutt a second chance at a great home can help give your life purpose! Your new best friend will love you for it!
Which Breed is Right for You?
As someone who lives alone, you want to know you’ve made the best pick of breed for your new furry friend. All of the breeds above make great companions and also therapy dogs if you’re in need of more support. To learn more about which breed is right for you, visit https://therapypet.org/blog/which-dog-breed-will-suit-you-best/ to learn more. Furry friends make the best roommates, even if they do drool a lot!