Pet Treats – Our Favorite Dog and Cat Recipe
December 12, 2019 |
As we move closer to Christmas, we are excited to share our favorite dog and cat safe recipe for tasty holiday treats.
Recipe #1: Sweet Potato Peanut Butter Sandwiches for Dogs
Making a sweet potato side dish for your friends and family? Grab an extra spud and create these dog-friendly Sweet Potato Peanut Butter Sandwiches. People can eat them, but we think your pooch will enjoy them more!
Photo Credit: Kia’s Kitchen
- (1½) cups self-rising flour
- (1) sweet potato, grated (about 1 cup)
- (1) tbsp honey
- (1) egg
- (6) tbsp milk — if your dog is sensitive to dairy, substitute water
- (4) oz vanilla yogurt
- (2) tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a bowl, combine flour and grated sweet potato
- In a separate small bowl, combine the milk, honey and egg — whisk to combine
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until dough comes together (if the dough is too wet, you can sprinkle in a little more flour until the texture is close to a putty texture)
- Form dough into a ball and wrap in saran wrap
- Chill dough for 15-20 minutes
- Roll out dough on a well floured surface and press out small circles from the dough (1″-1.5″ in diameter)
- Place cut out dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until dough has slightly risen and puffed
- While dough is baking in the oven, combine yogurt and peanut butter in a small bowl until well combined
- Chill icing until ready to make sandwiches
- Remove sweet potato dough from oven and cool for 5 minutes
- Take one sweet potato round and ice with peanut butter icing (my guess is about 2 teaspoons of icing)
- Top iced round with a second sweet potato round to form the sandwich
- Repeat with remaining sweet potato rounds and peanut butter icing
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week
Credit: Kia’s Kitchen
Recipe #2: Crunchy Tuna Cat Treats
If your cat goes crazy for tuna, try these Crunchy Tuna Cat Treats. Talk about being the purrfect holiday treat!
Photo Credit: Rachel Beyer/Evermine
- 1 (5 oz) can tuna in water, drained
- ½ cup oat flour*
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 heaping tablespoon catnip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor with the blade attachment. Blend until mixture is smooth.
- Roll into small ½ teaspoon balls and place onto the parchment. Press a finger each ball to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until they are slightly browned. Cool completely before surprising your kitty with a treat made just for them!
* To make your own oat flour, simply grind old-fashioned oats in a clean coffee grinder until transformed into a light powder.
Credit: Rachel Beyer/Evermine
Back to Blog